Summer Leadership Series
Alpha Sigma Tau’s Summer Leadership Series is an exciting new program of the National Council. Its purpose is to identify emerging Alpha Sigma Tau alumnae leaders to serve on the National Council, and empower them with the necessary skills for effective strategic leadership.
Identifying and preparing the next generation of leaders is critical to the long-term growth and sustainability of the Sorority.
What is it?
The Summer Leadership Series is an intensive, 12-week program that will equip a select cohort of Sisters with the necessary skills for strategic leadership. Participants will also gain a thorough understanding of what it’s like to serve on the National Council.
Grounded and Empowering
The Summer Leadership Series is based on four proven, critical leadership topics:
- Self-awareness: Learn to recognize your own strengths and weaknesses, and how they can gel with those of others, to emphasize team strengths and mitigate shortcomings.
- Analytical and Problem Solving/Critical Thinking: Learn to see beyond the obvious — step back and see what a given problem truly is, what caused it, and the potential impacts of various solutions.
- Anticipation and Forward-thinking: Learn how to foresee future problems and opportunities, and how to plan in advance to tackle them — before they get out of hand.
- Communication Skills: Learn how to share, effectively engage others, and be open to others’ ideas.
In the true spirit of Sisterhood, the Summer Leadership Series brings Sisters together to learn and grow in unison. People simply learn better in groups. Cohorts build community, foster creativity, build leadership skills, and encourage progress of the whole. You will complete the entire 12-week program as a group with the same participants throughout.
When is it?
The Summer Leadership Series will take place over a 12-week period beginning the week of July 10, 2017 and concluding the week of September 25, 2017.
Part I: Self-awareness
Tuesday, July 11 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, July 18 – Virtual Work
Tuesday, July 25 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Part II: Analytical and Problem Solving/Critical Thinking
Tuesday, August 1 – Virtual Work
Tuesday, August 8 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, August 15 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Part III: Anticipation and Forward-thinking
Tuesday, August 22 – Virtual Work
Tuesday, August 29 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, September 5 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Part IV: Communication Skills
Tuesday, September 12 – Virtual Work
Tuesday, September 19 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, September 26 – 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm ET
How will it work?
The Summer Leadership Series will be broken into four three-week sessions, one for each leadership topic. Each session will consist of:
- Online discussion boards for pre-work and discussions between virtual meetings.
- Regular virtual meetings for content delivery and facilitated discussions.
Participants should plan to spend about 1-3 hours per week for 12 weeks after the Series starts on July 10.
July 10 – 28, 2017: Part I, Self-awareness
July 31 – August 18, 2017: Part II, Analytical and Problem Solving/Critical Thinking
August 21 – September 8, 2017: Part III, Anticipation and Forward-thinking
September 11 – 29, 2017: Part IV, Communication Skills
Through the Summer Leadership Series, selected Alpha Sigma Tau members will:
- Learn skills necessary for effective strategic leadership.
- Grow as leaders together with their Sisters.
- Enhance professional skills through a formal leadership training.
- Join an emerging leaders pipeline that may lead to future service in Alpha Sigma Tau.
The application for the inaugural class was Friday, June 9, 2017. Keep an eye peeled here for any future application opportunities.