Frequently Asked Questions
See below for answers to frequently asked questions. If you have any questions that are not answered below, please email Rachel Bourgeois Green, Phi, Director of Meetings and Events.
What is Convention?
Every two years, Alpha Sigma Tau holds a National Convention to make impactful leadership and governing decisions, foster meaningful connections, expand an understanding of the Alpha Sigma Tau experience, and celebrate organizational, chapter, and individual achievements.
Who should attend Convention?
See the Who Should Attend page.
How much does it cost to attend Convention?
See the Rates page.
Who should be my chapter’s delegates?
Each collegiate chapter is expected to send one delegate, one alternate delegate, and one Chapter Advisory Board (CAB) delegate. Typically, Chapter Presidents serve as the delegate, another Executive Committee officer serves as an alternate delegate, and the Chapter Advisor serves as the CAB delegate. However, we realize this isn’t always possible, and encourage each chapter to select the best members to represent them at Convention.
More on this topic can be found here.
I graduate in the spring or summer of 2018. Do I register as a collegian or an alumna?
Once collegians graduate, they become alumnae members of the Sorority. If you will be an alumna in June 2018, please register to attend as an alumna member.
What is NOT included in my registration?
- Transportation to and from the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
- Transportation to the Pittsburgh Pirates Game (there will be walking guides to PNC Park and alternative transportation for those with special needs)
- Parking at the hotel. Self-parking is available for $18/day with in and out privileges. Valet parking is $26/day.
- Lodging at the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center. Lock in the special Convention rate – book your hotel room today!
- Breakfast and dinner on Friday, and lunch on Saturday.
- Transportation, entry/admission fees, and other costs (if applicable) for Saturday excursions.
What meals are provided throughout Convention?
- A $20 loaded-value card is included on your Pittsburgh Pirates Game ticket on Thursday evening for concessions at PNC Park
- Friday lunch during the Women’s Leadership Luncheon
- Saturday breakfast
- Saturday dinner during the Yellow Rose Banquet
- Sunday breakfast during Coffee with the Council
Please reference the details of your registration package to see which meals are included in your selected package.
How should I travel to Convention?
Plane, train, automobile, it’s up to you. Check out our Get Here page for more information.
What is the address of the hotel?
Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
112 Washington Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
What time is hotel check-in?
Check-in is at 4 p.m. ET.
What time is hotel check-out?
Check-out is at noon, but the special check-out time on Sunday, June 24 is at 1 p.m. ET.
If I’m driving, how do I use Billhighway prepaid card for gas?
If you are planning to use the Billhighway prepaid card for gas and you intend to pay at the pump, there is a $75 pre-authorization amount. The pre-authorized amount will be returned to the card upon settlement of a pay-at-the-pump transaction within 72 hours. Be prepared! You can always prepay inside the gas station to avoid a pre-authorization amount. If you load extra money on the prepaid card, you can always transfer it back to the chapter checking account later.
If I’m driving, where do I park when I arrive? How much does it cost?
Self-parking is available in the Chatham Parking Garage. The parking garage entrance is on Fifth Avenue. Self-parking is available for $18/day with in and out privileges. Valet parking is $26/day.
When should I plan to arrive to Convention?
The first General Session will begin promptly at 1:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 21. If you’re registered to attend the entire Convention, please plan to arrive on Thursday, leaving enough time to receive your registration materials and voting device (if you’re a delegate) and get settled. You will want to make sure you have checked-in to the hotel, had lunch, and are dressed in Badge Attire prior to the start of the first General Session.
If you are driving in on Thursday morning, please make sure to account for weekday traffic and parking. Keep in mind your hotel room may not be available immediately upon your arrival, so please plan appropriately for the General Session’s Badge Attire dress code.
Where do I go and what do I do when I arrive at Convention?
Go to the Convention Registration table to check-in (Grand Ballroom Foyer A on the 2nd floor). You will receive your registration materials and voting device (if you’re a delegate).
Then visit our vendor area to purchase Foundation yellow rose stickers, shop the Emerald Boutique, and much more!
Please keep in mind if you are arriving on Thursday morning, your hotel room may not be ready prior to the start of the first General Session. It is expected that attendees arriving on Thursday morning will arrive dressed in Badge Attire.
It is also encouraged that attendees eat lunch prior to the start of the first General Session.
When should I plan to depart Convention?
You can depart at any time you wish on Sunday, June 24. There will be a relaxed Coffee with the Council on Sunday morning. You can grab some coffee and a quick bite for the road, or sit and stay awhile.
What am I expected to wear?
Remember when choosing your attire, you will be representing ALL of Alpha Sigma Tau. All attendees are expected to dress appropriately.
Thursday, June 21
- General Session: Badge Attire (Business)
- Evening Out at PNC Park: Casual Attire – everyone is asked to wear your Convention t-shirt and casual bottoms
Attendees will receive a Convention t-shirt at on-site registration.
Friday, June 22
- General Sessions: Badge Attire (Business)
- Women’s Leadership Luncheon: Badge Attire (Business)
- Dinner on your own: Letter Attire or whatever attire is appropriate for your dining venue
Saturday, June 23
- Morning Educational Sessions: Letter Attire
- Pittsburgh Excursions: Letter Attire encouraged
- Yellow Rose Banquet: Semi-Formal/Formal Attire
Sunday, June 24
- Coffee with the Council: Letter Attire
What should I pack?
- Two business/Badge Attire outfits and shoes
- Three Letter Attire outfits (attendees will receive a t-shirt to wear to the Pirates game at on-site registration)
- Sorority Badge
- Tennis shoes
- Workout gear (Letters may be worn during workout/fitness sessions)
- Cardigan/sweater (hotels can be cold!)
- Sleepwear-pajama tops/bottoms
- Semi-formal/Formal Attire with appropriate undergarments and shoes
- Cell phone, camera, and chargers
- Laptop or tablet, if desired (plus chargers)
- Pen, pencil, notepad
- Personal business cards to exchange with other attendees
- Tote bag (attendees will receive a complimentary tote bag at on-site registration)
- Toiletries, medicines, and bandages for blisters from dress shoes
- Spending money for the Emerald Boutique shopping, vendors, and snacks
- Money for purchasing yellow rose stickers from the National Foundation
Chapter Packing Notes:
- Chapters do not need to bring their chapter plaque nor their Ritual Book to Convention.