National Council Orientation August 6-9
- The National Council met in-person at the National Headquarters Office in Indianapolis, Indiana, for their orientation meeting. The Council and staff took many precautions to ensure the health and safety of all involved including social distancing efforts during the meeting and in downtime as well as alternative meal solutions.
- The opportunity to gather together was so beneficial as the Council covered many topics during their time together.
- The Council kicked the meeting off with an opening devotional and the Prayer for Sorority Meetings. The first topic on the agenda was reviewing the Five Dysfunctions of a Team model. The Council prides itself on existing in a model of shared trust and understanding, unafraid of conflict, and committed to results for the benefit of Alpha SIgma Tau.
- The Council then reviewed their work procedures – how the Council functions and accomplishes its work and makes decisions.
- The Strategic Areas of Focus were reviewed and affirmed.
- Much of the weekend was spent developing plans for Standing Committee development including recruitment, training, and support for each committee to operate at high-performance.
- Dr. Grace Henry joined the National Council for the second time to continue development in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Cindy Stellhorn of MJ Insurance joined the National Council to provide an overview of the Sorority’s insurance program and a look at the environmental landscape of the insurance industry.
- The Sorority’s CPA Firm and Investment banker joined the Council by video conference to provide updates on their respective roles and work.
- Dani Weatherford, CEO of the National Panhellenic Conference joined the National Council by video conference to share an informative update on the landscape of the NPC amidst the COVID crisis on college campuses and provided other relevant updates.
- The National Council conducted a National Alumnae Induction via Zoom and included the Induction of National Vice President Cassidy Nulty (Alpha Psi 2016/Northern Iowa).
- The National Council developed its 2020-2021 Operational Plan.
National Council Conference Call August 11
- The National Council appointed the Sorority Advisory Committee.
- The National Council revised Article V., Section A., National Council Incumbent Report of the Standing Rules to change the due date from October 15th to August 1st to align the due date with the 2018 revised Convention due dates and timelines.
- The National Council adopted its 2020-2021 Operational Plan.
- The National Council adopted temporary policies for collegiate chapters as a result of the COVID crisis. The policies shall remain in effect until December 31, 2020, but will be reviewed in November to determine if adjustments will be made.
- The Council continued orientation topics by reviewing their governance model, the Headquarters Staff structure, roles, and responsibilities, and personnel policies of the organization.
National Council Conference Call August 25
- Lauren Bolden (Alpha Phi 2009/West Chester) and Kate Wehby (Gamma Xi 2009/Grand Valley), Co-Chairs of the Sorority Advisory Committee, joined the National Council for an update after the committee’s inaugural call on August 23.
- The Council review dates and timelines of their Operational Plan.
- The National Council discussed pending National Panhellenic Conference legislative items.