Alpha Sigma Tau utilizes the National Wellness Institute’s Six Dimensions of Wellness to guide our National Philanthropy, the Women’s Wellness Initiative. These dimensions are the result of decades of research, which shows that individuals who achieve and maintain wellness are considerably more likely to lead successful, fulfilling lives. We believe that intentionally practicing wellness in each of these areas will help our members and friends more easily adjust to and navigate life’s changes during the COVID-19 situation.
Emotional wellness includes cultivating an optimistic attitude and being willing to tackle challenges, take risks, and recognize conflict as having healthy aspects. Through self-awareness and self-control, emotions are expressed appropriately and stress is managed effectively. As many of our daily routines and habits are flipped upside down, this is a stressful time for most of us. You are not alone. Here are a few ways to practice emotional wellness.
**If you feel you are in a time of crisis, text HOME to 741741. You’ll reach a certified crisis counselor at Crisis Text Line who can take you from a hot moment to a cool moment.
- How to Stop a Coronavirus Anxiety Spiral | Wired
- Suite of free meditations, movement exercises, and sleep assistance | Headspace
- How to Calm Your Anxiety about the Coronavirus in 90 Seconds | Mind Body Green
For those with children:
Send a virtual hug to a Sister
Download our coloring pages for a calming activity, either solo or with your little ones
From employees working remotely for the first time to working parents working from home while their children are also home, there’s a lot to navigate when it comes to occupational wellness. Here are some ways to help promote your own occupational wellness.
- What You Need To Know To Start Working From Home | Forbes
- 9 Tips To Be Productive When Working At Home During COVID-19 | Forbes
- 6 Tips For Managing Remote Employees | Forbes
- 8 Tips to Make Working from Home Work For You | NPR Life Kit
- 7+7 Strategies for Working From Home During COVID-19 | Psychology Today
- How to Get People to Actually Participate in Virtual Meetings | Harvard Business Review
- A Business Owner’s Resource Guide | The Business Journals
- How Working Parents Can Prepare for Coronavirus Closures | Harvard Business Review
- 13 Ways to Practice Self-care When You Work From Home | Business Insider
This is also a scary and uncertain time for small business owners. If you’re able, here are a few ways to pay it forward and help their occupational wellness:
- 7 Ways to Support the Small Businesses in Your Community During the Coronavirus Crisis | Inc.
- How to Help Your Favorite Small Businesses Survive the Coronavirus Crisis | CNN
For students adjusting to distance learning:
- Getting The Most Out Of Your eLearning Course: 10 Study Tips For Online Learners | eLearning Industry
- 8 Strategies for Getting the Most from an Online Class | Northwestern University
- Online Student’s Manual for Success | Learn How to Become
- Tips for Successful Online Learning | edX
Tools for working remotely:
Intellectual wellness is the pursuit and cultivation of knowledge, wisdom, and culture. As we practice social distancing, we may feel stifled in our ability to explore and learn new things. Thankfully, we can continue exploring through the comfort of our own homes through the power of technology.
- Explore Curated Arts & Culture Articles and Information | Google
- 13 Museums You Can Visit Online During Your Quarantine | Buzzfeed
- Learn Something New | Skillshare
- 33 Virtual National Park Tours |totallythebomb.com
- Free Live Online Workshop: Introduction to Modern Brush Calligraphy | Hoopla Letters
For those with little ones:
- Girls Who Code at Home: Activities featuring women in tech | Girls Who Code
- 30+ Virtual Field Trips |Mrs. Fahrney, Zionsville, Indiana
- Video library of celebrities reading popular childhood books | SAG-AFTRA Foundation
- Free Art & Craft Tutorials to Create at Home with Your Kids | McHarper Manor
- Free Homeschooling Resources (through 4/30) | Brave Writer
- Top 50 Science Toys for Mighty Girls | A Mighty Girl
- Resources For Teaching and Learning During This Period of Social Distancing | KQED
Alpha Sigma Taus have been asking, “What are you reading? What are you listening to?” We created this shared Google Sheet so that Sisters can share their favorite books and podcasts with others looking for ideas. Click here to view the list or add your own!
Please note Alpha Sigma Tau has the right to review all submissions and deny any based on content that is inappropriate or incongruent with the Sorority’s values.
Physical wellness is the commitment to care for one’s body to achieve optimal health and performance. To stay active during a time of social distancing, experts have recommended playing a round of golf, open-water swimming, or going for a walk or run, but here are more ideas and resources:
- Free Home “Work-ins” Live-Streamed Daily 7 p.m. ET | Planet Fitness
- Free at-home workouts with Les Mills | Les Mills
- Free daily yoga classes via Instagram Live | Salt Power Yoga
- List of free or discounted at-home workouts offered by fitness studios | NBC News
- 10 free workout apps | Yahoo
Click here for handwashing advice and other tips for avoiding infection.
A woman who exhibits social wellness develops healthy relationships in order to impact positive change in her community, career, and other environments. Social Distancing may have us standing six feet apart from one another, but it doesn’t mean that we have to lose our social connections at a time when we need them most. Here are a few ways to stay connected:
- Organize a virtual Netflix watch party
- Swap a hobby with a Sister and learn something new.
- Host a virtual cooking or baking lesson.
- Write an old fashioned letter to a Sister; you’ll brighten your day and hers.
- Check-in on older Sisters to see if they need anything and to simply chat.
- Play a game with Sisters, like Words with Friends or 1-1 game.
- Organize weekly virtual meetups. Keep it light and fun by adding a weekly theme.
- Utilize technology and apps, like FaceTime, Zoom, and Marco Polo, a video walkie talkie app.
- The Importance of Friendship in a Time of Social Distancing | Mind Body Green
Spiritual wellness is faithfulness to a personal value system, to act purposefully, and to explore the meaning of one’s existence and experiences. Here are a few resources to help you practice spiritual wellness:
- Caring for Self and Others in Times of Trouble: Some Spiritual Tools and Tips | Harvard Divinity School
- 40 Simple Ways To Practice Gratitude | Lifehack
- Book: Thanks!: How Practicing Gratitude Can Make You Happier
- 8 Podcasts for the Spiritual Searcher | The New York Times
- The 12 Best Meditation Apps For 2020 | Women’s Health